Our focus at Open Sky is to educate students, families, staff and referring professionals not only how, but why, it’s important to make health-conscious choices in all aspects of our lives. We believe that our students and families will carry these principles with them because they understand the rationale and impacts of these choices.
Wellness is about more than just one’s emotional state, it is about one’s total health. We believe that each component of being human (body, mind, heart and soul) must be treated as interdependent parts critical to being healthy.
Open Sky Wellness Curriculum
At Open Sky, we believe that wellness education is the key to a long-lasting lifestyle change. Based on this principle, Open Sky’s naturopathic doctors designed a curriculum that promotes healthier choices and self-efficacy. Our wellness curriculum teaches students how to create and maintain healthy, life-long habits for self-care, eating, exercise, stress reduction, sleeping, and personal relationships.
A sample of our curriculum modules includes:
- Why eat healthy?
- Creating a healthy relationship with food
- Impact of drugs and alcohol on the mind and body
- The basics: why sleep and water are so important
- How to make wise food choices
- Healthy body image
- Safe sex practices
- Physiology of stress and stress management
- Mental Health 101: What are neurotransmitters? What impacts their function? What can I do to optimize my mental health?